Vistara Stops Distributing 200ml Plastic Water Bottles on Delhi-Mumbai flight

The airline will now serve water to passengers in paper cups, instead of use and throw bottles

Highlights
  • Vistara has kept a 50% reduction target this year
  • In another development, Vistara recently announced flights to Singapore from Delhi and Mumbai

The full-service carrier Vistara goes eco-friendly by eliminating 200 ml mineral water bottles from its Delhi-Mumbai flight from July 16, 2019. The airline will soon expand the same to its other flights. The airline will now serve water to passengers in paper cups, instead of these use and throw bottles.

The initiative will help Vistara significantly reduce single-use plastic bottles. It has kept a 50% reduction target this year. Vistara was earlier in the news for serving oxo-biodegradable cutlery and pouch to Economy class customers. It further replaced plastic casseroles with aluminium dishes in Economy class. In premium economy, the airline started using china casserole. It replaced the plastic straws and stirrers with paper or wooden ones, and disposable bowls in economy class with reusable ones.

Vistara-runway-closure-mumbais

The new initiative to replace the single-use 200 ml is challenging compared to the other efforts. Currently, feasible non-plastic alternatives are not available to use for similar purposes.

Also Read: Vistara Flight from Mumbai to Delhi Gets Routed to Lucknow, Lands with Critically Low Fuel

“Vistara’s decision comes with a larger consideration of disposable plastic being one of the biggest pollutants that continues to pose a threat to the global environment,” Vistara said in a statement released to the media.

In another development, Vistara recently announced flights to Singapore from Delhi and Mumbai. The services from Delhi to Singapore starts on August 6 and Mumbai to Singapore will commence on August 7. The all-inclusive round-trip fares for Delhi-Singapore-Delhi begin at Rs 21,877 and tickets for Mumbai-Singapore-Mumbai start at Rs 20,778.

READ:  Air India Denied to Handle Ground Operations in US Airports

Besides, Vistara flight UK864 from Bengaluru to Mumbai has started using Digital India’s e-boarding system, popularly known as Digi Yatra in Bangalore’s Kempegowda International Airport.

Vistara is a joint venture between Tata Sons Limited and Singapore Airlines Limited (SIA). Tata Sons holds the majority stake of 51% in the company and SIA holding the remaining 49%.

Also Read: Club Vistara Loyalty Programme: Registration, Earning, Redeeming Points and All You Need to Know

Read more on:

Ria is a lead news writer at Aviation Scoop. She writes from dawn to dusk, reads in the evenings, and draws at some ungodly hours. She loathes human interaction, and finds solace in the sweet, musky smell of old books, and rain. Find her on Twitter here - @rialakshman.

Recent Posts

Vistara Losses Almost Double in FY19 Owing to High Fuel and Operational Costs

Last financial year wasn’t necessarily the best one for the Indian aviation industry. The sector saw some serious losses and...

Air India Wins The Record Of Flying The Longest Flight In Shortest Duration, Beats Emirates

Air India has achieved a unique feat of operating the world’s longest flight in the shortest duration. The airline’s flight...

Vistara To Fly To Europe And More Countries In Asia By 2020: CEO

India’s full-service carrier Vistara plans to focus on Europe and Asia as its ‘Phase One’ expansion, according to Leslie Thng,...